The secret to making these tasty zucchini fritters crispy and not soggy is to squeeze out all of the extra moisture from the zucchini and onion in a dishtowel. Once the zucchini and onions are nice and dry, they can be mixed with the remaining ingredients.
Try these with a little tzatziki sauce dolloped on topTwo other ways to enjoy these fritters:
- Topped with grilled tomatoes, poached eggs, and basil cream sauce.
- Substitute 1 tsp. cinnamon for the dill, and top with toasted walnuts and maple syrup.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 leek, white and light green only, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- canola oil
- salt and pepper
- Grate the zucchini and onion.
- Wrap the grated vegetables in a clean dish cloth and twist over the kitchen sink to remove all of the excess moisture.
- Place the zucchini and onion in a large bowl.
- Add the leek, dill, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and egg.
- Use your hands or a spoon to combine the ingredients.
- Heat 1/2″ oil in a large, non0stick skillet over medium heat.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 2″ patties.
- Fry in the hot oil until both sides are dark golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle generously with kosher salt, and serve.