Creamed spinach is a special treat for me. While I try to eat spinach regularly, cooking it with cream is something I mostly save for holidays or special steak dinners. Creamed spinach takes just a few minutes to make. If you are grilling, start cooking the spinach when you put the steaks on the grill and you’ll time it just right.
Emeril’s Creamed SpinachRecipe Type: Classic American Steakhouse side dishCuisine: AmericanAuthor: Emeril Lagasse – Food NetworkIngredients
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- If the spinach seems a little dry, add a bit more cream.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.