This salad recipe is for my friend, Travis. A few weeks ago, Travis spent the night at our house. We sat around in the evening drinking wine and talking, and, as often happens in conversations with me, the subject turned to food. And then, for some reason, to salads. Travis had a lot to say about salads. He doesn’t really like them. In fact, these are his exact words:
“I’m sick and tired of all of these salads that have so many vegetables in them. What I’d really like is a salad made out of meat.”
Okay… well, after I stopped laughing, I told Travis I actually had a salad in mind that I just knew he would love – my Thai Steak Salad.
What makes this salad so delicious is the Thai inspired salad dressing and the main ingredient, BBQ’d steak.
Any good quality steak will work for this recipe, but we like to go all out and use filet mignon (Travis, how does that sound?). Marvin is the BBQ master so he takes care of the grilling – cooking the steaks over a charcoal grill until they are perfectly medium rare.
While the steaks are on the grill, I make the dressing. It’s a classic Thai dressing: no oil but plenty of fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro, mint, sugar, green onions and lemon grass. YUM.
After the steaks get a chance to rest off the grill for a few minutes, we slice them, place them on a platter, and pour some of the dressing over the top. We serve the steak warm with lettuce, cucumber, tomato and red onion – and then drizzle the whole thing with a little more dressing.
With just two of us eating, we always have leftovers, which is why we like to serve all of the ingredients seperately. That way we can keep the leftover veggies from getting soggy in the fridge. If you plan to eat the entire salad in one meal, you can assemble the whole thing on a platter and dress it before serving. Either way, it’s delicious.
Travis, I hope you will give it a try. Maybe it will change your mind about salad. 🙂
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 inch piece of lemon grass, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Thai garlic chili sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1.5 lb steak (filet mignon, NY, top sirloin)
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- optional: shredded carrot & chopped peanuts for garnish
- Combine all dressing ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Clean the lettuce and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise and slice into thin half moons.
- Cut the roma tomatoes into thin wedges.
- Slice the onion into thin slices.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill to your desired temperature.
- Remove the meat from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steak and arrange it on a platter. Pour half the dressing over the steak.
- Serve the steak with the salad ingredients and top with more dressing if desired.
- (You can also assemble all the ingredients together on a platter before serving.)