I wanted to make stuffed blue cheeseburgers with caramelized onions on top, but then I had an idea… why not puree the caramelized onions and stir them directly into the meat? I was hoping the onions would keep the extra-lean ground beef moist and add a touch of sweet onion flavor – and I was right! And there’s more… fresh basil, oregano, and thyme flavoring every bite, and blue cheese just oozing out all over everything.
This could be the best hamburger you ever eat.
Caramelized Onion Burger Stuffed with Blue Cheese
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 4 oz. good quality blue cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- avocado, tomato, arugula, mustard, mayo and other condiments of your choosing
- Slice the onion thinly. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sugar and reduce heat to medium low. Sauté the onions, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and well caramelized – about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When onion has cooled, place it in a small food processor and pulse to a coarse puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, fresh herbs, black pepper and the onion. Mix well.
- Divide the meat into 12 equal portions.
- Flatten each of the portions into patties – about 1/2″ thick (do not make them too thin).
- Place 1 heaping Tbsp. of blue cheese in the center of 6 patties.
- Top each with one of the remaining 6 patties and pinch the edges to seal.
- Refrigerate the patties for 1/2 hour.
- Grill the burgers until they are cooked to your liking.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with avocado, tomato, arugula or lettuce, and your other favorite burger condiments.