Hel-lo! Once you try this sauce, you might not enjoy a steak any other way. We’ve been making this sauce on special occasions for over 20 years now, and it’s only for very special friends that we actually divulge our recipe. Well, I guess this is your lucky day, our very special friends. It’s Valentine’s Day, and you should make this for the ones you love (and they’ll show you some love in return, I promise!). Serve this sauce over your favorite cut of steak. I’d highly recommend a filet mignon!
|Brandy Green Peppercorn Sauce|| |
- (Ingredient amounts are per person):
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. shallot, diced
- ⅙ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. dried green peppercorns*
- ¼ cup brandy (per recipe)
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (I prefer the Knorr brand)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender. Add ¼ cup brandy and flame until the alcohol has burned off. (Note: just use ¼ cup to keep the flame manageable). Off heat, add beef broth and stir to bring the temperature down before adding the cream. Season well with Worcestershire sauce, green peppercorns (slightly crushed in your hands to release the flavor), and freshly ground pepper. Two beef bouillon cubes add the right amount of browning, salt, and body, without being too salty. Simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened. Serve over steak.
- *I've recently had a hard time finding the dried green peppercorns at the grocery store, but I did find a great source for them (and other spices) on-line at: http://www.silvercloudestates.com/.