Homemade fruit curd is a real treat and actually very simple to make and it really does taste much better then store-bought.
Homemade Lime Curd
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 eggs yolks, combined
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. lime zest
- Combine butter and sugar in a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for two minutes.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs / egg yolks, and beat for 1 minute more.
- Mix in the lime juice. (It may look slightly curdled, but it will smooth out when cooked).
- Transfer the curd to a heavy bottomed pan (non-stick works best) and heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens – about 8 minutes. (It should be the consistency of pudding). Do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime zest, if desired.
- Cool the lime curd at room temperature for 10 minutes, then transfer to a plastic or glass containers (canning jars work great) and cover tightly with a lid or saran wrap to prevent a skin from forming on top of the curd.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.