New York Style Bagels
Classic New York Style bagel that is boiled and baked for a crisp outside and a chewy inside
- 1.25 cups water (296 g) 80-90 degress F
- 2 tbsp barley malt syrup or honey divided
- 1 packet active dry yeast or 2 tsp Redstar is my favorite
- 4 cups unbleached bread flour or all purpose (480 g) you may need slightly more
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt Diamond Crystal or Morton
- cornmeal for dusting pans
- Parchment paper to line the pans
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda for the water bath
- 1 egg or eggwhite beaten with a bit of cool water
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everyhting bagel seasoning
- Place water in a bowl and stir in 1 TBSP of malt syrup or honey
- Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it rest for approxiamtely 10 minutes until it starts to look foamy.
- Stir in the flour until it forms a stiff, shaggy dough. let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes to allow the flour and water to come together. This will help reduce more flour adding when kneading.
- Add the salt and knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. This can be done in a mixer with a dough hook or on the counter tht is lightly floured.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and form into a ball. Using a benchtop scale works well to make 8 equal size balls. Weigh the entire ball and then divde by 8. Typical dough balls will be between 105 and 115 grams for 8 bagels.
- Starting with the first ball formed, push your thumb through the middle to form a circel. stretch the hole wider to form the bagel.
- Repeat for the remaining bagels.
- Place the shaped bagels on the cornmeal covered parchment lined baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place in the refridgerator overnight (12-16 hours).
- Preheat oven to 450. While the oven is warming up, remove the bagels and let them warm back up.
- Fill a pot with water and add 1 Tbsp. of malt syrup or honey. Bring to a boil and add 1 Tbsp. of Baking Soda. It will foam up when added.
- Place the bagels in the boiling water and allow to boil for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. The longer in the water, the chewier the bagels will be after baking.
- Remove the bagels and let them dry off a bit on a cooling rack.
- Place the bagels on a clean parchment-lined cookie sheet that has been sprayed wiht non-stick spray.
- Brush with the egg wash and top with your favorite bagel toppings or leave plain.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the bagels are golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.