The blackberry buckle is so simple to make – you melt the butter in the pan first, then pour the batter on top, followed by 4 cups of blackberries. The center is cake-y and the edges are slightly crispy. Delicious!
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the blackberries, 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, lemon juice and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Place butter in a 2 quart baking dish and place the dish in the oven to melt the butter.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vanilla.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture just until combined.
- When the butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven. Pour the batter over the butter. The melted butter will spill up around the edges – don’t stir it in.
- Sprinkle the blackberries evenly over the top and gently press the berries into the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top and continue baking 5 minutes more or until the buckle has turned a beautiful golden brown.