These pancakes are light, fluffy, tasty, gluten-free, and loaded with good-for-you blueberries. I adapted this recipe slightly from the Hollyhock Garden to Table Cookbook. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or 1/2 cup of the Hollyhock homemade gluten-free flour mix. I generally use the versatile Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix which works perfectly.
Blueberry Polenta Pancakes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or dairy alternative
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix (or homemade gluten-free flour mix, or whole wheat flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries or other fresh berries
- Combine the cornmeal, salt and honey in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the boiling water, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter (or coconut oil).
- Stir the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture until it is well combined.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then gently stir into the wet batter.
- Ladle batter onto a hot, oiled griddle and sprinkle a few berries on each pancake.
- Cook on medium heat until the pancakes are speckled with bubbles.
- Flip and continue cooking until the underside is golden brown.
- Top with maple syrup, apple butter, fruit or yogurt and serve immediately.