RECIPE CONTRIBUTED BY JOY ALDRICH
I recomend that you use a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, with its intense bouquet and delicate, fruity taste. And, pour a little lemon-flavored oil to the top of this delicious Hummus.
- 4 Tbsp. juice from 1 to 2 lemons
- 1 cup drained canned or jarred artichoke heart packed in water, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp. tahini, stirred well (I blended the contents of the whole can in the blender)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 – 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1/4 tsp. grated lemon zest
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley or mint
- pita bread and olives to serve it with
- Combine lemon juice and water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
- Process chickpeas, artichokes, garlic, salt, cayenne, and lemon zest in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula.
- With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube.
- Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute.
- With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl. Sprinkle reserved artichokes and parsely or mint over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with minced herbs and cayenne pepper and serve with toasted pita chips.