Basmati rice has so much flavor, it makes an excellent cold salad. We love serving this at parties and it makes a wonderful accompaniment for Chicken Breast Marbella. Fresh herbs and a refreshing citrus vinaigrette keep the flavor light.
|Citrus Basmati Rice Salad||
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 medium orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- For basmati: Bring 4 qts. water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Meanwhile, warm a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the basmati and toast for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and opaque, stirring constantly.
- Once the water is boiling, add the salt and bring the water back to a boil. Add the basmati to the boiling water and cook until it is just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Drain and spread the rice on a parchment-covered baking sheet to cool.
- For the dressing: Mix together the citrus juices, soy sauce, and honey. Whisk in the oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the salad: Once the basmati is cooled, fluff it with a fork. Stir in the herbs, citrus zest, nuts and onions. Add dressing, to taste. EnJOY!