PCC Community Market is a great place to shop. I always feel a little healthier and socially responsible, just by walking in the door. They also share their recipes, including my favorite tofu recipe from their deli. I love tofu, and this recipe is hard to resist. I’ve been known to open my little plastic deli container in the car and eat this with my fingers while driving home from the store. It’s just that good. All of the ingredients in this recipe are available at PCC and better grocery stores. I have also included substitutions in case you can’t find these ingredients – organic optional.
Baked Tofu – PCC Deli Style
- 2 Tbsp. avocado or canola oil
- 1/2 cup organic orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup Mirin rice wine* *Substitute Dry Cooking Sherry for Mirin
- 1/4 cup organic low-sodium tamari* *substitute low-sodium soy sauce for tamari
- 1/4 cup organic toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. organic brown rice vinegar* *substitute rice wine vinegar for brown rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced organic fresh ginger
- 2 lbs. organic extra-firm tofu
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a medium-size casserole dish with 1 Tbsp. avacado or canola oil.
- Combine the orange juice concentrate, Mirin, tamari, and 1 Tbsp. canola oil, brown rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Mix well.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and combine it with the orange juice mixture.
- Marinate the tofu for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Grease a 9″ x 11″ baking dish with the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil. Pour the tofu and marinade into the baking dish.
- Bake the tofu for 75 minutes – gently stirring every 10 minutes or so to bake all sides evenly.
- Serve hot as an entree or an appetizer or refrigerate and use cold in salads, sandwiches, or wraps.