A luscious and rich mushroom soup perfect for a meatless meal. Mushroom stock blended with roasted cashews makes a creamy base for earthy wild rice, shiitake mushrooms, and fresh thyme. This recipe is from the Hollyhock Garden to Table cookbook. I’ve adapted it slightly. Omit the cream (my addition) if you prefer a dairy-free, vegan version. Enjoy!
Mushroom, Cashew & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups mushroom stock
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add onion and salt. Turn heat to low and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the fresh thyme and garlic. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Turn heat up and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their juices and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add wine and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- While the wine is reducing, combine 1 cup of mushroom stock with the cashews in a food processor or blender and process until well combined.
- Add cashew-stock mixture and remaining stock to the pot and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Use a blender or a stick blender to process the soup until smooth. (You can also process in batches in a food processor).
- Stir in the cooked wild rice and cream (optional) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with additional chopped cashews.