Hands down…this is one of the best cupcake recipes I have made. Adding the lime curd makes these cupcakes delightfully tart and sweet at the same time. The cake itself is very dense like a homemade cupcake should be, but still moist. Heavenly!!!
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- zest of 3 limes
- 3/4 lb. (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package true lime (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 12/ tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 7 oz. sweetened, shredded coconut
To fill and frost:
- Homemade Lime Curd
- Cream Cheese Frosting with Lime
- 7 0z. sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners – for a total of 24 cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and lime zest and mix together with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant.
- In the bowl of an stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, taking care to scrape the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Mix until just combined. Fold in half of the shredded coconut.
- Fill each prepared cupcake liner to the top with batter.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove them to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized round tip with homemade lime curd.
- Gently insert the pastry tip into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount of lime curd.
- Frost each cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting with Lime and garnish with toasted coconut.