A beautiful, one-dish dinner in under 30 minutes. Cod is simmered in a frangrant, spicy coconut tomato sauce and garnished with toasted coconut and cilantro. Serve over basmati rice.
Cod in Coconut Curry Sauce
- 4-6 oz. cod filet pieces
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, and minced
- 2 Tbsp. Madras Hot Curry Powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes and their juice
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes until they are soft, but not brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic, jalapeño, curry powder, coriander, cumin and salt and pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the coconut milk and the sugar. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and cook for another 3-4 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Place the fish filets into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan.
- Cook the fish until it is cooked through, but not falling apart (4-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish).
- Just before serving, stir the chopped cilantro into the sauce.
- To serve, place a scoop of basmati rice on each plate. Top with a piece of fish and a generous ladle of sauce. Garnish with toasted coconut, lime wedges and almonds if desired.