This Orange Chicken is a favorite in our house. The chicken is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, thanks to a coating of cornstarch. The sauce is sweet, flavorful, and full of orange flavor.
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
FOR THE ORANGE SAUCE
- 6 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Chinese rice wine or cooking sherry
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 5 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
FRY THE CHICKEN:
- Toss the chicken with 4 Tbsp. cornstarch.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a wok or a stockpot to 350 degrees for deep frying. Gently drop the chicken into the oil and use a spatula or spoon to gently separate the pieces so they don’t stick together.
- Cook the chicken until it is a light golden brown.
- Dish out with a strainer or a slotted spoon, and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Discard the oil.
FINISH THE DISH:
- In a large skillet or a wok, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over high heat. Add the garlic, dried chiles, and bell pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes until the bell pepper is crisp tender.
- Add the chicken and sauce. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the green onions, and serve immediately with rice.