Boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces marinated in garlic and cumin infused yogurt, served with a tangy yogurt-mint dipping sauce — easy and delicious! Make these skewers ahead of time, let them marinate, then throw them on the the grill.
HINT: if you use bamboo or wooden skewers, soak them in a bowl of water for several hours before threading on the chicken. This will keep them from catching fire while you grill.
Yogurt Chicken Skewers
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling, so get those soaking first.
- Combine ¾ cup yogurt, garlic, cumin, turmeric and salt in a bowl large enough for adding the chicken. (I sometimes add the olive oil here as well to help prevent sticking when grilling.)
- Cut chicken thighs into bite size pieces, about 1”x1” and add to marinade. Stir well to coat all of chicken. At this point, you can carry on or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Put chicken pieces on the skewers. Heat grill on high for 5-10 minutes (if using gas) or get your coals ready. Put skewers on grill, close cover and turn down to low. Let grill for 5 minutes or so, then check skewers. When browned on one side, turn over and grill another 5 minutes or so until nicely browned on the second side.
- While skewers are grilling, put the other ¾ cup yogurt in a blender or small food processor. Add mint leaves, ½ tsp salt and process until the mint is finely pureed into the yogurt.
- When skewers are done, serve with yogurt sauce and enjoy!