The word Oyako literally means “parent and child” in Japanese and Donburi means “bowl”. Oyako Donburi is a delicious one-dish meal made with chicken and egg served over a big bowl of steamed rice. This is a is a satisfying one-dish meal with limited chopping, and not too many dishes to clean up afterward.
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 Tbsp. sake
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 2 eggs, gently beaten
- 3 Tbsp. mitsuba leaves (optional)
- 2 cups steamed rice
- Place the first five ingredients in a large sauté pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until the onion is soft.
- Pour the egg over the mixture. Do not stir. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve over bowls of hot rice.
- Top with mitsuba leaves.