Mail little jars of this holiday sauce to far-away family friends. This is a super easy canning project that mixes fresh cranberries with apple, raisins, orange, and just enough spice from a cinnamon stick and cloves to make to make this cranberry sauce extra special.
Holiday Cranberry Sauce
- 7 – 1/2 pint canning jars, lids and brands
- canning water bath pot, with rack, filled with 5 inches of water
- 8 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup diced apple
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- zest from 2 large oranges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- In a large stock pot, combine all of the ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil and continue cooking for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
- Carefully ladle the cranberry sauce into 7 sterilized 1/2 pint (8 oz.) jars leaving 1/2 inch head space on top.
- Wipe the rims and sides of jars before topping with a hot lid.
- Screw the lids on firmly and place jars into the water bath.
- Process for 10 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove jars and place on a towel-lined jelly roll pan or countertop to cool.
- Over the next few hours, listen for a “ping” as the lids go concave signaling a secure seal. If a lid does not go concave and seal, refrigerate the jar and use it first.
- Store securely sealed jars in a cool, dark place for up to a year.