Italian Wedding Soup is one of my husband’s all-time favorites. He loves the little meatballs floating in the rich chicken broth, the bites of pasta, and the sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. And, he doesn’t even think twice about eating big spoonfuls of spinach… which is how I know he truly loves this soup.
I use Jeannie-O Italian seasoned ground turkey to make the meatballs – which are baked in the oven before being added to the soup pot. An entire 6 oz. bag of baby spinach gets stirred in just before serving, making this yummy soup so good for you, too.
Approximate nutrition info. (based on 8 servings): 265 calories, 21 grams carb., 7 grams fat, 22 grams protein.
Italian Wedding Soup
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 – 20 oz. package Jeannie-O Italian seasoned ground turkey
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
FOR THE SOUP:
- 10 cups chicken stock (I make mine with Better Than Bouillon Organic Base)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup small pasta (orzo, bow-ties, shells, stars, etc.)
- 1 – 6 oz. bag baby spinach, stems removed
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
PREPARE THE MEATBALLS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, egg whites, milk, minced garlic and parsley. Mix well.
- Form meat mixture into small, teaspoon sized meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and browned. Set aside.
PREPARE THE SOUP:
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Add the onion carrots and celery and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta and cook until it is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the meatballs, and cook for 2 minutes more. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and cook just until the spinach wilts, about a minute more.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.