I just can’t believe today is February 28th! I didn’t have time to make enough of the recipes from Balaboosta and now the month is over. This will definitely be a cookbook I come back to again and again.
Yesterday I managed to squeeze in one more from Balaboosta. It looked so simple I just couldn’t resist. Crispy, salty, zucchini patties seasoned with onion, leeks and dill.
Simple, yes. Boring, NO!
The secret to making these patties crispy and not soggy is to squeeze out all of the extra moisture from the zucchini and onion in a dish towel. Once the zucchini and onions are nice and dry, they can be mixed with the remaining ingredients.
I ate these with a little tzatziki sauce for lunch – so yummy!
I’ve got two other ideas I want to try using this recipe…
– Zucchini patties topped with grilled tomatoes, poached eggs and basil cream sauce.
– Zucchini patties with cinnamon, walnuts & maple syrup (omit the dill).
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 leek, white and light green only, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Canola oil
- salt & pepper
- Grate the zucchini and onion.
- Wrap the grated vegetables in a clean dish cloth and twist over the kitchen sink to remove all of the excess moisture.
- Place the zucchini and onion in a large bowl.
- Add the leek, dill, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and egg.
- Use your hands or a spoon to combine the ingredients.
- Heat 1/2″ oil in a large, non0stick skillet over medium heat.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 2″ patties.
- Fry in the hot oil until both sides are dark golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle generously with kosher salt, and serve.