Making the Perfect Potato Salad on Sunday just got me thinking about how much I love making salads – especially the hearty grain-based kind you can turn into a complete meal. So this week I’ve decided to share some of my favorite salad recipes, using some of my favorite grains.
FAVORITE GRAIN #1 – Wild Rice
Wild rice is actually not rice at all – it’s a grain producing grass – the only cereal grain native to North America. Wild rice grows in lakes and marshy ponds across parts of the U.S. from Texas and California through the Great Lake states and New England.
Like cranberries and maple syrup, wild rice is a quintessential American food.
Today, most wild rice is cultivated in paddies, but if you are interested in tasting Minnesota wild rice hand-harvested from canoes, check out this website:
White Earth Reservation Wild Rice.
Regardless of the source (I bought a bag of California grown), wild rice is low in fat, high in fiber and protein, and loaded with minerals and vitamins.
The flavor is nutty, the texture is chewy, and the color is a gorgeous brownish-black.
Wild Rice Salad with Edamame & Tofu combines protein-loaded edamame and tofu with carrots, toasted sesame seeds and a combination of wild rice and long grain brown rice. The homemade sesame-orange dressing is flavorful, but not too sweet. The ingredients listed are simple, but don’t let that stop you from getting creative. Try adding shitake mushrooms, cilantro, nuts or any other vegetables you love. This would also be delicious with chicken in place of the tofu. Wild Rice Salad with Edamame & Tofu is definitely a great meal to pack for lunch, and it will hold up well in the refrigerator for days. Last but not least, this salad is gluten-free.
(Stay tuned for Favorite Grain #2 tomorrow!)
|Wild Rice Salad with Edamame & Tofu|
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup cooked, shelled edamame
- 1 – 14 oz. package extra firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Cook the wild rice and brown rice separately according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, drain the tofu on paper towels to remove some of the moisture, then cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat the canola oil in a large non-stick pan. When oil is hot, add the tofu, and cook stirring occasionally, until the tofu is brown on all sides. Drain the tofu and set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the orange juice, seasoned rice wine vinegar, tamari, ginger and sesame oil.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the rice, tofu, edamame and carrots. Add the toasted sesame seeds and dressing. Stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate to let the flavors mingle before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.