Watermelon brings back so many memories from my childhood summers. Beautiful platters of red, white and green triangles dotted with shiny, black seeds. Standing in the sand on the beach eating as many of the juicy slices as I could before my mom warned, “Don’t eat too much or you’ll get a tummy ache!”. Of course, she was right. And then there was the Annual Dolphin Lake Watermelon Eating Contest… I didn’t win, but I sure gave it my all (and, again, I got a tummy ache).
But, now I am an adult. This doesn’t mean I have to give up watermelon, but now I enjoy it in a more savory and spicy way with this Watermelon and Sweet Onion Salad. Caroline shared this recipe with me last summer. She wrote: “It’s unusual but I think really good.” She’s right! It made a delicious accompaniment to our BBQ Rib Dinner last night.
|Watermelon and Sweet Onion Salad|
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 minced jalapeno chile
- 1 finely chopped clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup orange in 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped Walla Walla onion
- 3 cups seedless watermelon in 1-inch cubes
- Combine the marmalade and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. Add the cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic to make the dressing.
- Toss together the oranges, onion and watermelon.
- Just prior to serving, drain any excess juice from the salad, drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat evenly. EnJOY!