My friend, Cathy, recently attended a two-day Raw Foods cooking class. I was
a bit very skeptical. Why in the world would you spend two days learning to not cook?! Well, let me tell you, she did come home with some delicious treats that made me feel good about enJOYing them. My favorite recipe was a smoothie made with fresh almond milk (oh, what a difference!), vanilla bean and frozen banana.
Please consider taking the time to make your almond milk from scratch. I have tried this recipe using store-bought vanilla-flavored almond milk and while it was good, it wasn’t as good as the homemade stuff. It’s really quite easy: blend soaked almonds, water, agave syrup, vanilla extract, salt and soy lecithin (optional for thickening) for about two minutes. Pour the mixture into a nut milk bag, or cheese cloth, and squeeze the yummy milk into a container. See?
Easy, right? Almond milk is lactose- and dairy-free (vegan), has less calories than cow’s milk and provides healthy fats that reduce the risk of heart disease. Mix it with frozen banana and vanilla bean for a Va-nana-rama Smoothie – a creamy and icy treat that is even better than ice cream. Try it and I promise you’ll want to make it again, and again.
- For the almond milk:
- 1 cup of almonds, soaked in water for at least an hour
- 4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 tsp. soy lecithin, optional
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, optional
- For the smoothie:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 4 cups frozen bananas
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 pinch sea salt
- To make almond milk:
- Drain the soaking-water from the almonds.
- Put the almonds, fresh water, salt , vanilla extract into a blender and process for about 2 minutes until milky white and well-combined.
- Strain the blended almond mixture through a nut milk bag, or cheesecloth, into a resealable container. Squeeze until no more liquid comes out.
- Milk can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- To make Va-nana-rama Smoothie:
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. EnJOY!