When I saw the recipe for Turkish Coffee Brownies in Balaboosta, Bold Mediterranean Recipes to Feed the People You Love, by Einat Admony, I immediately thought of Marvin. Not because he loves chocolate, but because of a story I’d heard about a past girlfriend, her Serbian mother, and an infamous Turkish coffee “reading” that correctly predicted the demise of the relationship. Wow – those coffee grounds don’t lie!
All I can say is… if you know someone who loves chocolate and coffee – and you aren’t trying to end a relationship – skip the Turkish coffee reading and make these brownies instead. They are wonderful! The magic ingredient in this very simple recipe is actually cardamom, which imbibes an exotic flavor without overwhelming the irresistible combination of coffee and chocolate.
The recipe calls for espresso powder, but I substituted a packet of Starbucks VIA Italian Roast. I STRONGLY recommend this recipe and hope you will give it a try.
Want to learn more about the ancient art of Turkish coffee reading? Check out this short video documentary by Veronica Moscoso Cordero from YouTube.
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 3 oz. 70% cacao chocolate (bittersweet)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 packet Starbucks VIA Italian Roast instant coffee
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease the sides and bottom of an 8" square pan with butter and dust lightly with flour.
- Melt the chocolate and 8 oz. of butter together in a double boiler or a small bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is light, fluffy, and pale yellow.
- Whisk in the VIA packet, cardamom, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
- Remove the melted chocolate mixture from the heat and gently stir with a rubber spatula.
- Very slowly add the chocolate to the egg mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Sift the ⅔ cup flour into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Check the doneness by sticking a toothpick in the middle - if it comes out clean, the brownies are done.
- Cool before cutting.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar.