Here is a simple stir-fry featuring succulent shrimp and crisp pea pods. If fresh pea pods are not available in your grocery store or your garden right now, you can substitute a bag of frozen – just thaw them slightly before cooking.
|Stir Fried Shrimp & Pea Pods||
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 1 – 1/2 cups pea pods
- 1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 lb. medium shrimp (20-24 count), peeled and deviened
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- additional salt & pepper
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch and water. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a wok or a large frying pan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, water chestnuts and celery and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the broth and continue cooking for 1 one more minute. Add the pea pods and shrimp and cook just until the shrimp are pink and the pea pods are crisp tender. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a quick boil to thicken the sauce. Season with additional salt and fresh ground pepper if needed. Serve immediately.