My lovely friend, Cara, recently took a fabulous family vacation to Italy. Her kids are SO lucky! I’m lucky, too, because she brought back some of the most delicious Extra Virgin Olive Oil and she was kind enough to share it with me! It was made in Sorrento with olives coming exclusively from the Sorrentine Peninsula. The label states, “the olives were hand-picked and pressed within a few hours”. If you haven’t had the pleasure of enjoying premium EVOO, you must make it a priority. It has such an intense bouquet and a delicate, fruity taste that you’ll want to hide the bottle from your family in order to save it for yourself. I used the lemon-flavored oil to top of this delicious Springtime Hummus. Thanks, Cara!!!
P.S. My niece, Grace, asked me what I’d made for the blog today. I paused, wondering if she’d have a clue what hummus was. When I told her, she exclaimed, “HUMMUS! I LOVE HUMMUS! If there was a cake made of hummus I’d dive in face first!” Well, then, I guess I’ll be whipping up another batch for dinner next Thursday (gymnastics) night.
- 1 cup drained canned or jarred artichoke heart packed in water, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 Tbsp. juice from 1 to 2 lemons
- ¼ cup water
- 6 Tbsp. tahini , stirred well (I blended the contents of the whole can in the blender)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- 1(14-ounce) can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 small garlic clove , minced or pressed throuh garlic press (about ½ teaspoon)
- ½ tsp. table salt
- ¼ tsp. grated lemon zest
- Pinch Cayenne
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley or mint
- Pita bread and olives to serve it with
- Combine lemon juice and water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
- Process chickpeas, artichokes, garlic, salt, cayenne, and lemon zest in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl. Sprinkle reserved artichokes and parsely or mint over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with minced herbs and cayenne pepper and serve with toasted pita chips.