Joy and I recently attended BlogHer Food 2012 at the Olympic Fairmont Hotel in downtown Seattle. The food at every meal was fantastic – far better than anything I’ve ever eaten at a hotel conference event. One idea we fell in love with was a “salad” of spinach leaves served on a skewer. What a great catering idea!
For our Cook for the Cure® party we took things one step further, threading stacks of tender baby spinach leaves, fresh local strawberries, and thick-cut, apple smoked bacon on 6″ skewers and serving them on a platter with a jar of poppy seed vinaigrette.
These salad skewers were a huge hit with our friends. So cute, so fun! Give them a try the next time you throw a party. I bet your friends will love them, too. If you have trouble finding 6″ skewers at your grocery store, you can order the kind we used here:
6″ Skewers with A Twisted End.
|Spinach-Strawberry Salad Skewers|
- FOR THE SKEWERS:
- 12 – 6″ bamboo skewers
- 10 oz. baby spinach
- 12 large strawberries
- 6 pieces thick sliced bacon
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced onion
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Remove any large stems from the spinach.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the stems and cut berries in half lengthwise.
- Cut the bacon into 1″ pieces and cook in a large sauté pan until it is fully done, but not too crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- To assemble the skewers, stack 5 or 6 spinach leaves on top of each other – facing the same direction and slide onto a skewer. Follow with a strawberry half, and a few pieces of bacon. Repeat with another stack of spinach, a strawberry and bacon. Finish with another stack of spinach.
- To make the salad dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake to combine.
- Serve the skewers on a platter with the dressing in the center.