The picture of this Spinach Egg Casserole is unimpressive. Sorry. I almost feel bad about posting it, because it might make you feel like this isn’t worth trying. But, honestly, I did not have a chance to stage a good shot, because my girlfriends dug into this as soon as it hit the table. We devoured this dish! The recipe comes from Dana Treat, and I did not change a thing, except to make a double batch. This is a cinch to make and low-carb, if that matters to you. It’s loaded with protein from the eggs, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. What does it taste like? Imagine eating spanakopita – minus the phyllo crust.
Additional Note: 1/30/12 – Our reader, Angela, needed a BIG recipe for a church function. She made 6 triple batches of this recipe – baking each in a 2″ hotel pan. The recipe worked great. Good to know if you need a egg casserole recipe for catering.
Additional Note: 5/12/12 – Made this using fresh spinach from our neighbor’s garden (thank you, Elise!). I chopped the spinach, sprinkled it with salt, and steamed it in a small amount of water for a few minutes. Then drained it VERY well and squeezed out all the excess water. Two big bowls of fresh spinach cooked down to about 10 oz. It was absolutely delicious served for dinner along with grilled Chicken Italian Sausages and a tomato asparagus salad.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 – 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and squeezed dry
- 1 16 oz. container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven t0 350 degrees. Spray an 8″ square baking dish with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, beat eggs, salt, and pepper together. Add all of the remaining ingredients and combine well. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake the casserole at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. The casserole will brown slightly and the center will be set when it is done. (Add 10 minutes if you double this recipe).
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving, or serve at room temperature.