Happy 4th of July! We’re staying home for the holiday and it looks like we might actually get to eat outside tonight – no rain! If you live anywhere else besides the Northwest, I know this must be hard to understand, but the 4th of July in Seattle can be COLD. I actually looked it up… the average temperature on the 4th of July for is just 72 degrees. But today, it’s blue sky, baby!
We’ve got friends coming over to watch the fireworks and as soon as it gets dark I’ll be serving up these S’mores Bars. Yum. Yum. Yum.
Don’t get me wrong, I do love a real S’more – there is nothing like sitting around a smokey campfire and carefully roasting the perfect marshmallow before sandwiching it between a square of Hershey’s Chocolate and two graham crackers. These S’mores Bars aren’t quite as messy, and no campfire is required. Plus, this recipe has the added benefit of peanut butter in the crust, making this dessert one of my all time favorite flavor combinations.
Super easy, super rich, super delicious. S’mores Bars are the perfect ending to an All-American holiday!
|S’mores Bar Cookies|
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 8 oz. semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 6 Tbsp. of butter in a small sauce pan and melt it over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs in a medium bowl and stir in the butter mixture.
- Grease the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ pan with a little butter, then press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes, or until the crust is slightly darker in color.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is melted, add the powdered sugar and then gradually stir in the heavy cream.
- Pour the hot chocolate mixture over the crust and spread evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle the mini marshmallows over the top and cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the broiler.
- Place the s’mores under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes until the marshmallows soften and turn slightly brown.
- Cool at room temperature until the chocolate is set – 30 minutes or more.
- Cut into squares and serve!