Yesterday we woke up to snow! That’s unusual for our neighborhood this time of year, but it was a fun surprise. Then the sun came out and my little Tête-á-Tête daffodils watched as the last of the white stuff melted away.
Spring has sprung.
For those of us trying to eat local, the produce department at the grocery store is a big tease right now – showing off all kinds of fruit grown far, far away – like ridiculously beautiful strawberries super-charged with who knows what kind of chemicals. We really shouldn’t buy those kind of berries.
But, oh, they do look pretty. And I haven’t bought strawberries all winter.
What’s a girl with very little willpower to do? Buy strawberries. Bake a cake.
It tasted like Spring to me.
|Simple Strawberry Cake|
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 lb. fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a 9″ straight-sided cake pan. Place the parchment in the pan and spray the pan and paper with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium low and add the egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Turn mixture down to low and gradually add the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure all the flour gets incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Hull the strawberries and cut them in half. Lay them cut side up around the pan in a pretty design.
- Pour the dough over the berries and gently spread it out. The dough will be quite thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool at room temperature for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Carefully peel off the parchment to reveal the strawberries on top.
- Serve in slices with sweetened whip cream.