This is my biggest hit of the summer! And, please ~ next year, when I start to complain around mid-June that summer has not arrived in Seattle, remind me that summer stays in Seattle well into September! It’s 80° in my kitchen right now. Back to my summer favorite…Shrimp Ceviche.
I made this ceviche for my good friend, Julie’s birthday party a few years ago. It was made with halibut and I served it in shot glasses (so fun!). Everyone loved it, and it was really easy. This summer, I made it with shrimp and took it to SeaFair. Toby spent the next month bragging to everyone about it. So, I made it, again, this past weekend, to celebrate the marriage of our wonderful friends, Lisa and Gil. There were no left-overs! You’ve got to try this – you’ll be hooked. (Oh, and it goes really well with Perfect Margaritas!)
- 1 lb. large, frozen shrimp, thawed slightly
- 1 cup fresh citrus juice (combined lemon, lime and orange)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Carefully slice the shrimp in half lengthwise, and then into 1/4″ pieces.
- Place the shrimp into a medium bowl, pour citrus juice over the top and stir well to coat all of the shrimp pieces.
- Sprinkle the peppers, onion and cilantro over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Stir to blend well. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with corn chips. EnJOY!