May is Guest Chef Month at A Passionate Plate!
Today’s post and recipe are from our friend and frequent book group host, Lisa. She is a busy mom, but she always seems to WOW! us with her simple and tasty “sit and watch me finish dinner” snacks and terrific book group dinners. An all-time favorite was her made-to-order BLTs, potato chips and Molly Moon’s ice cream. Now that Book Group has become Happy Hour Club, we’re going to miss Lisa’s meals. Luckily, she’s sharing her latest favorite with us here.
Post and recipe by Lisa Vila
This is my new favorite, make in 30 minutes or less, recipe. When Joy asked me to be one of A Passionate Plate’s Guest Chefs, I knew just the recipe to share.
I found this recipe in the cookbook, Plenty, two months ago and can’t stop talking about it. This dish is so easy to make and is absolutely fabulous. The spices make for a Moroccan-style pasta that tastes so unusual it is perfect for serving to dinner party guests.
Give it a try! I’ll bet you’ll find yourself talking about it too!
- Good variety of tagliatelle or wide noodle pasta
- Saffron threads
- Spiced butter:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chile flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped mint
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta as directed, adding a decent pinch of saffron threads to the boiling water.
- Make the spiced butter: Place the butter and oil in a frying pan and cook the shallots gently for about 10 minutes, or until they soften and the butter turns slightly brown. Now add all the spices, the salt and some pepper. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Drain the pasta and return to the saucepan. Pour the spiced butter over the pasta and stir well, then divide among four plates. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and chopped herbs and serve.