Full of good-for-you vitamin C, antioxidants, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals – beets are a superfood that may even improve heart health and lower your risk of diabetes.
I love the sweet, earthy taste and silky texture of roasted beets, and I’m happy to share another yummy beet recipe with you.
This salad recipe comes from the Hollyhock Garden to Table cookbook, my inspiration for recipes this month.
If you are one of those misguided people who think beets taste more like dirt than a vegetable, this lovely salad might change your mind. The sweet flavor of roasted beets mingles nicely with a dressing made from tart, homemade pomegranate molasses and tangy balsamic dressing. Chili flakes and cilantro give the salad a little extra kick. For a little added protein, try adding some feta or cotija cheese.
Toss the ingredients together about 15 minutes before serving to let the flavors mingle. I like this salad served at room temperature, but the refrigerated leftovers are just as tasty.
Do you love beets, too? Here are some other recipes to try –
- FOR THE BEETS
- 1 lb. red beets
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- FOR THE MOLASSES (makes extra!)
- (ingredients will make extra. Keep refrigerated for up to 6 months)
- 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice, no sugar added
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 3 Tbsp. homemade pomegranate molasses
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- pinch of chili flakes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the beets (skin on) in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the beets for 1 hour or until tender.
- While the beets are cooking, prepare the pomegranate molasses.
- In a medium, heavy bottom sauce pan, combine pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 to 50 minutes until the juice has reduced by ⅔ and turned syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove the beets from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Peel the beets, cut into small dice and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk together 3 Tbsp. pomegranate molasses with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, chili flakes and olive oil.
- Toss the beets gently with the pomegranate molasses dressing, fresh cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Let the salad sit at room temperature for 15 minutes so the flavors can mingle and then serve.