Broccolini – the hybrid cross between broccoli and kai-lan (Chinese broccoli) – is mild and tender and really good for you. Here is a quick broccolini stir-fry recipe adapted from The Joy of Cooking that works perfectly with Asian entrees like Kung Pao Chicken.
- 1 large bunch broccolini, about 1 lb. (leaves removed, stems peeled)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced ginger
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- Toasted sesame oil for drizzling
- Heat a wok or a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add garlic and ginger and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the broccolini and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and oyster sauce, then cover and cook for about 4 minutes until broccolini is bright green and crisp tender. Drizzle with a bit of sesame oil before serving.