Recipe: Rustic Chanterelle Mushroom, Leek & Bacon Tart
Topped with chanterelle mushrooms, leek, bacon, Gruyere cheese and fresh herbs, this tart is equally great for a dinner party entree or a main dish, served with a fresh greens salad. Yummo!
Author: A Passionate Plate
Recipe type: Entree, Main
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- ½ medium leek, thinly sliced
- 1 to 1½ pounds fresh Chanterelle mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped herbs - recommend thyme and oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. very cold water
- 1½ tsp. cider vinegar
- MAKE THE CRUST:
- Place the flour, salt, and baking powder in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Whirl briefly to combine. Add the cream cheese, egg yolks, water, and cider vinegar and process until a smooth dough forms. Remove the dough from the processor, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate the dough for ½ hour.
- MAKE THE FILLING:
- Saute the bacon in a medium pan until it is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Set aside. Pour off most of the bacon fat from the pan and add the leeks. Sprinkle the leeks with a little salt, then cook them on low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are soft. Remove the leeks from the pan and set aside. Add the chanterelles to the pan, add the fresh herbs and saute the mushrooms until they have released their juices and are tender. If the pan is too dry, add a Tbsp. of butter or olive oil. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- ROLL OUT THE DOUGH:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12" round. Place the dough on an ungreased baking sheet or pizza stone. Spread the leeks, bacon and mushrooms over the tart - leaving a one inch border around the edge. Cover the filling with shredded Gruyere. Then fold the edge over the mushroom mixture and cheese, crimping the edge to make it fit.
- Bake the tart until it is golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Cut into four wedges and serve warm. (Serves 2 to 4).