|Chicken Pot Pie for One|
Recipe Type: Main
Hearty, luscious chicken pot pie for one – a singular comfort food sensation!
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- ¼ cup diced potato
- ¼ cup diced white onion
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt & Pepper
- FOR THE BISCUIT TOP:
- ¼ tsp. chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc.)
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp. of butter. Stir the flour into the melted butter to make a roux. Cook the roux for about one minute, stirring constantly, then add chicken stock. Continue stirring until the roux dissolves and the stock thickens slightly. Add the carrots, potatoes, onion and peas. Cover the sauce pan, turn the heat to low, and let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuit. In a small food processor, combine the herbs, and dry ingredients. Pulse the processor to combine. Add the butter and continue pulsing until the mixture forms course crumbs. Add the buttermilk and pulse just until the dough comes together. Remove the dough from the processor and pat it into a ball. Set aside. Note: If you don’t have a mini food processor, follow the steps above, but use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter and gently stir in the buttermilk with a spatula.
- Return to the filling. Taste it to make sure the vegetables are getting tender, then stir in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Pour the hot filling mixture into a 5” x 2 1/4” ramekin.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat out the biscuit top until it is roughly 5” round. Gently set the biscuit on top of the filling.
- Place the ramekin on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake for approximately 15 minutes until the biscuit top is nicely browned.
- I’m pretty sure you won’t have any leftovers. I didn’t!