Pink Lemonade Sugar Cookie Bars
The filling should be poured onto the warm cookie base, so don't let the cookie cool when it comes out of the oven the first time. By layering the parchment paper in two directions in the baking pan you'll create an easy way to lift the cookies out of the pan.
Author: A Passionate Plate
Recipe type: Dessert
- For the sugar cookie bars:
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 Cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 Cups four
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- For the Pink Lemonade Filling:
- 4 large eggs , beaten lightly
- 1⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest from 2 large lemons
- ⅔ cup lemon juice from 3 to 4 large lemons, strained
- ½ cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this to the mixer in two parts and blend until just combined.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter a jelly roll pan (10x15) and line with one sheet parchment or wax paper. Dot paper with butter, then lay second sheet crosswise over it. Lightly butter the top sheet. Using your hands press the dough down into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the filling: Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar, and flour in medium bowl, then stir in lemon zest, juice, jam, milk, and salt to blend well.
- To finish the bars: Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Stir filling mixture to reblend; pour into warm crust. Bake until filling feels firm when touched lightly, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to near room temperature, at least 30 minutes. After cooling the bars, grasp the edges of the lengthwise paper and lift the bars onto a cutting board. Fold paper down and away from all edges, and cut into serving-size bars, wiping knife or pizza cutter clean between cuts, as necessary. Sieve confectioners’ sugar over bars, if desired.