My wonderful friend, Mary Jordan, first served this halibut recipe to our book group about 15 years ago. I remember calling her up right after to get a copy of the recipe, and I still have it – scribbled on an old piece of computer paper (the really old kind with perforated edges and holes down the sides).
After all these years, I still LOVE recipe! Last night I headed over to Mary’s house for dinner and we decided to make an old favorite – still as fabulous as always. It tasted especially nice with our newly invented Arugula, Edamame & Fennel Salad.
Something old, something new… it was all delicious! 🙂
- 1 pound halibut filets, skin on
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. capers plus 1 tsp. caper juice
- 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Serve with spaghetti tossed with Parmesan, garlic, olive oil & parsley
- Combine the olive oil, diced red pepper, lemon juice, basil, capers, caper juice and fresh garlic in a small bowl. Set aside at room temperature for ½ hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place halibut filets on a baking sheet. Brush filets lightly with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the halibut in the oven until it is cooked through - 7 to 10 minutes depending on thickness.
- Use a spatula to carefully lift the filets away from their skin. Discard skin and place the halibut pieces on individual plates.
- Top halibut with caper-basil sauce, and garnish with fresh basil.
- Suggested accompaniment - spaghetti tossed with olive oil, garlic, fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.