Use this stock in the delicious recipe for Mushroom Pot Pies with Parker House Crust, or anytime you need a vegetarian stock.
Author: A Passionate Plate
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- handful of thyme sprigs
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- ½ cup dry Marsala
- 2 quarts water
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and peppercorns and cook for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the wine and cook for about 5 minutes, until it is mostly evaporated.
- Pour the water into the pot with the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat until it is reduced to 6 cups, 45 minutes.
- Strain the stock, pressing down on the solids. Discard the solids and refrigerate the stock for up to 5 days.