What do you do when you receive an e-mail with the subject line: “Phenomenal!”? In my case, I opened it, read it and promptly saved it to my “Recipes” folder. And, there it sat for a year. I did not forget about it and it was always on my mind, but it wasn’t until last week, when I was planning my trip to visit my dad and Caroline in Maui, that I moved it back to my Inbox.
Caroline wrote: “Hi Joy, Because I love you so much and as a thank you for the marinade, I’m going to divulge my latest, favorite secret recipe. It is definitely an OMG kinda dip.” Since I would be staying with my dad and Caroline at their home in Kula, Maui, I thought it would be fun to do some cooking and posting with Caroline. This was the perfect opportunity to break out this OMG recipe and give it a try. It is ahhhh-maz-ing!
Muhammara is a roasted red pepper dip (originally from Aleppo, Syria) that also includes toasted walnuts, pomegranate molasses (remember that bottle I found when cleaning out my cupboard), garlic, lemon juice and other seasonings. It is creamy and just the right amount of spicy. OMG – it is so tasty! It would be a big hit at a Superbowl party, or any other gathering. Be prepared to share the recipe for this very unique dip (or even better: tell them the can find it here at apassionateplate.com).
If you can’t find the pomegranate molasses (or concentrate), simmer 1 cup of pomegranate juice on low heat until it is reduced and thick enough to coat a spoon. However, we highly recommend finding the syrup because you’ll want to make this again and again. EnJOY!
Don’t forget to enter our January Giveaway!
- 7-oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (the toasting is crucial!)
- 2 small cloves garlic (don’t overdo the garlic or it will drown out the other flavors)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cut vegetables, for dipping, and/or
- Pita bread, cut into triangles and toasted, for dipping
- In a food processor, blend peppers, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- With the motor running, gradually add the olive oil.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.