I just really love the combination of these flavors. Every bite of this savory pizza bursts with complexity. At first it’s all whole-wheat and pesto, but pretty soon the sweetness of the roasted beets kicks in, and those crunchy, toasty hazelnuts are so, well… so nutty. And just when you think it’s over – a surprise ending – just a touch of tangy, pungent, goes-perfect-with-beets, blue cheese.
If you’d like to make your own kale pesto, find the recipe here.
- 1 whole wheat pizza ball (Trader Joe’s is a great source for pre-made)
- 2/3 cup pesto (we recommend our homemade kale pesto recipe)
- 2 cups pizza cheese (your choice)
- 2 large or 3 medium roasted beets, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. good quality blue cheese
- Divide the pizza dough into six balls.
- Press the dough out into free-form shapes.
- Divide the pesto, pizza cheese and roasted beets between the six individiual pizzas.
- Bake in a very hot (400 to 450) oven on a pizza stone or baking sheets until the crust is brown and the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and scatter a little blue cheese over each.
- Return to the oven for 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts over each pizza and serve.
- (This pizza also tastes delicious served at room temperature).