You know what I get excited about? My Venti Americano every morning. Watching my dog, Charley, field her ball with the skill of a pro baseball player. The view of the sapphire-colored water as we approach to make our landing in Maui. Summer! Football season. My birthday. And a deliciously simple side dish. The one I’ve perfected this summer (this is be confirmed by Toby) is this Jalapeño Chili Creamed Corn.
Who wouldn’t get excited about fresh corn cut from the cob sautéed with shallots, jalapeño, a little chili powder and a touch of half & half? (Is your mouth watering, yet?). There is no running for the dental floss after eating this corn! And guess what?! It’s just as delicious with a high-quality frozen corn. No matter how much I make, there never seem to be any leftovers ;(
|Jalapeño Chili Creamed Corn||
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (seeds removed if you don’t like heat)
- 1-10 ounce bag frozen corn (or corn cut from 4 ears of fresh corn)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup half & half
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the shallot and jalapeño pepper and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the corn and sauté until tender and heated through.
- Pour the half & half over the mixture and cook until slightly thickened, 3-4 more minutes.