Okay, here is the first recipe in our month of cooking LOVE! This recipe could also be called cooking GUILT! – because combining apple fritters and bread pudding made me just a little guilty. But, after writing about the Winchell’s Donuts Apple Fritters of my childhood, I could not resist the urge to combine two of my favorite guilty pleasures – apple fritters and bread pudding – and let me just say it was worth it! Ironically, the bathing suit I ordered from Zappos for our upcoming trip to Mexico arrived just as I swallowed the last bite of my little afternoon treat. If the universe was trying to send me a message, the timing… not so good. Here’s to guilty pleasure!
|Individual Apple Fritter Bread Puddings|
- 2 large or three smaller apple fritters
- (I used 3 from Top Pot Donuts)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 – 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinammon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease or spray four 4″ x 2″ ramekin dishes. Cut the apple fritters into small pieces and combine with the raisins. Whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Evenly distribute the apple fritter and raisin pieces between the four ramekins until they are totally full. Pour the egg mix over each ramekin and gently press down on the mixture to help absorption. Let sit for 15 minutes to soak.
- Place the ramekins inside a larger baking dish with at least 2″ sides. Pour hot water in the larger dish to about half-way up the sides of the ramekins. (this will prevent the puddings from drying out during baking).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the puddings are set and a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm. If there isn’t enough guilt in your ramekin already, top with vanilla ice cream.