Happy Sunday morning to you! We’re enjoying a lazy start to the day and happy tummies, thanks to these scrumptious Gluten-Free Blueberry Polenta Pancakes. I haven’t been making a big deal about it here, but Marvin and I have both cut way back on gluten and carbs recently, so pancakes have been pretty much off the menu. Obviously these pancakes are not carb-free, but they are light, fluffy, tasty, gluten-free, and a nice reward for being “good” all week.
I adapted this recipe slightly from the Hollyhock Garden to Table Cookbook (we’re giving away a copy next week!). The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or 1/2 cup of the Hollyhock homemade gluten-free flour mix. I just used the versatile Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix which worked perfectly.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk or dairy alternative
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- (or homemade gluten-free flour mix, or whole wheat flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries or other fresh berries
- Combine the cornmeal, salt and honey in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the boiling water, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter (or coconut oil).
- Stir the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture until it is well combined.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then gently stir into the wet batter.
- Ladle batter onto a hot, oiled griddle and sprinkle a few berries on each pancake.
- Cook on medium heat until the pancakes are speckled with bubbles.
- Flip and continue cooking until the underside is golden brown.
- Top with maple syrup, apple butter, fruit or yogurt and serve immediately.