Creamed spinach is a special treat for me. While I try to eat spinach regularly, cooking it with cream is something I mostly save for holidays or special occasions like a Steakhouse Dinner at Home. Creamed spinach takes just a few minutes to make. If you are grilling, start cooking the spinach when you put the steaks on the grill and you’ll time it just right.
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse and it is wonderful! 🙂
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- If the spinach seems a little dry, add a bit more cream.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.