I bet a bunch of you remember making this cute classic when you were little. It is absolutely the easiest bunny cake to make and a perfect project for young chefs. All you need to make this happy guy is a box of yellow cake mix, a couple of cans of frosting, a bag of coconut, a few red vines and some colorful candy. Bake two 8″ or 9″ rounds, and cut one into bunny ears and a big bow-tie. Then just have some fun and get creative! Honestly, the trickiest part is just finding a tray long enough to assemble the cake. We used a piece of cardboard covered with foil.
To make decorating easier, bake a day ahead, cut the ears and bow-tie, and freeze the cake prior to frosting. But don’t worry, it doesn’t need to be perfect and the coconut is great for patching messy spots.
This is a fun project for kids of all ages.
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- eggs, water & vegetable oil according to package directions
- 2 cans whipped vanilla frosting
- 1 package red vines
- jelly beans, M & Ms, or other candy for decorating
- Make cake mix according to package directions.
- Bake in 2 8" or 9" round pans. Cool cake completely.
- Carefully cut one of the rounds into two ears and a bow tie. Cut 2 convex shaped ears from the sides. This will leave the concave shaped piece for the bow tie.
- Wrap the cake pieces and freeze for easy frosting.
- Lay out the cake pieces to form the bunny.
- Frost the entire cake, then decorate as you choose with the coconut and candy.