Exciting news… I am harvesting from my tiny garden already! Lettuce, swiss chard and radishes. I planted the radishes to give myself some instant gratification, since radishes only take about 35 days to transform from seeds into spicy, crunchy little treats.
Typically I eat radishes as a healthy snack with a little salt, or throw them into a green salad – but when I saw my chives blooming this weekend, I got inspired to make some little canapés. So easy and refreshing – these pretty appetizers would be perfect to pass around at a baby or wedding shower – or to kick off a summer meal on the patio.
I used a petite seeded French baguette from LaBrea for this recipe, but any small French baguette will work just fine. What a fun way to celebrate the first crop of the season!
|Cucumber Radish Canapes|
- 1 French style baguette
- 1 English cucumber
- 10 radishes
- Small bunch fresh chives, including blossoms if available
- 4 oz. spreadable light cream cheese
- Wash the cucumber and slice it thinly. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt and set aside.
- Wash the radishes and slice thinly. Set aside.
- Chop two tablespoons of chives – reserve some stems for garnish. Combine the chopped chives with the cream cheese and stir to combine.
- Slice the baguette thinly.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese over each baguette slice. Top with a cucumber slice and three radish slices.
- Garnish with additional chives and chive blossoms if desired.
- Best if served immediately – but you can make these ahead – wrap tightly with plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.