A couple of my favorite kids came over for lunch yesterday. Natalie and Kiki were in town for their Irish Step Dance Camp (they recently danced at the Miss Washington pageant), and Justin was along for the ride (and lunch!). Their mom, my good friend, Cara, is a wonderful cook and has done great job of exposing her kids to all kinds of food and cultures.
Check out this picture of the homemade pasta Cara made with Justin. I love the fact that these kids are not only great athletes, but they are learning about food and cooking in the kitchen, too!
While Cara’s kids have quite sophisticated palates, I just wanted to make something f-u-n. Even though a corndog-on-a-stick is fun, I thought mini Corn Dog Bites (baked, not fried!) would be even better. The trick is to make these in a mini muffin pan so that the corn bread gets good and crispy, just like the corn dogs you get at the fair. Served with BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad, Strawberry Limeade and Strawberry Ice Cream Shortcake Towers, I’d say lunch was a hit!
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- All-Beef Hot Dogs, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Whisk together the butter and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cooled, melted butter and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In two batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Generously coat the cups of the mini muffin pan with pan coating.
- Place one tablespoon on the corn bread batter into each of the cups.
- Gently press one piece of hot dog into the center of each cup.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown around the edges.
- Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.