(Contributed by our guest contributor and expert baker – Mary Jordan!)
As I was mulling over what to bring to a Cinco de Mayo party, my friend Laura (who is a fantastic baker) suggested Coconut Lime Cupcakes and referred me to a recipe adapted from Ina Garten via Food Network. Laura also suggested an added twist to the recipe…piping in freshly made lime curd. I was all over the idea, as I love coconut and citrus flavors together.
I was a little surprised to see the 6 eggs and 3 sticks of butter…but hey, this is a big recipe that makes 24 cupcakes so I went with the flow, adding only a few small changes of my own, including the addition of a small package of True Lime Crystallized Fruit Wedge
to boost the lime flavor. Of course, the most labor intensive part is the making of the lime curd, but this can be done a few days in advance if desired. The cupcake part is …well, a piece of cake to do, very easy.
OK, hands down…this is most likely one of the best cupcake recipes I have tried…and I have tried quite a few. Adding the lime curd to the center made it delightfully tart and sweet at the same time. The cake itself is very dense like you expect a homemade cupcake to be, but moist. Heavenly!!!
|Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Curd||
- 2 cups sugar
- zest of 3 limes
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package true lime (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 7 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- To fill and frost –
- Homemade Lime Curd
- Cream Cheese Frosting with Lime
- 7 oz. sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners – for a total of 24 cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and lime zest and mix together with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant.
- In the bowl of an stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, taking care to scrape the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Mix until just combined. Fold in half of the shredded coconut.
- Fill each prepared cupcake liner to the top with batter.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove them to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized round tip with homemade lime curd.
- Gently insert the pastry tip into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount of lime curd.
- Frost each cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting with Lime and garnish with toasted coconut.